Happy International Women’s Day to all the women I know and the men who love and support us! I often reflect on what it means to be a woman in this time and this place.
Was I so very brave and strong to strike out on my own? No. I was sad and lonely and mad at my husband for backing out of the trip. If you have not heard the story, the latest audio retelling is available on the Moterrific podcast. It is also told in the first chapter in my book, American Borders, which is the story about my job test riding the Ural sidecar motorcycle for the American importer in 1995. (Buy the ebook for $2.99 this weekend only at Smashwords with coupon code JE37J.)
Here are more free and discounted stories and resources for women. And hey, you guys might enjoy them, too.
- Motorcycling for Women: Beginner Bikes – Free!
- Stories from Elsewhere: Travels on Two and Three Wheels – $2.99 this weekend only
- Wild Writing Women: Stories of World Travel – $4.99
- Ireland: The Sacred and the Profane – Free!
Other places to join in conversation about travel and women and adventure. I’d love it if you’d join me!
- The China Road Motorcycle Diaries, beta reading/commenting on Wattpad.
- Goodreads Adventure Travel Books Group
- My Misadventures Media Facebook page.
- Twitter! @CarlaKing
- My YouTube channel.
I don’t upload much video, but below is the most popular video on my channel. It’s Mary McGee telling the story of racing the Baja 1000. Mary and I met at the Tahoe/Carson City Adventure Motorcycle Rendezvous a few years ago. I taped part of her talk for that group last year, and this is the “raciest” segment. She was also the keynote speaker at the 2012 International Women & Motorcycling Conference in Carson City. You’ll see why she’s such an inspiration!